You are about to embark on your first cruise. But what to pack besides your swimmers, sun hat and sun block? We asked our well travelled cruiser passengers for some tips on what are the 10 clever things they never knew they needed for a holiday at sea.
The top 10 smart things to pack:
1. An international adaptor – most cruise lines have American plugs and if you looking to use your computer or charge up your iPhone, it’s best to have an adaptor in your luggage. It can cost at least US$10 to buy an adaptor on board the ship.
2. A travel clothesline – small and useful especially when you want to hang a wet bathing suit or towel to dry. It is also small and can be easily packed away in your cosmetic bag.
3. Reef shoes are always very handy and will protect your feet when you go snorkelling or want to explore a rocky beach.
4. Post-it stickers – extremely useful when you want to leave notes for your travelling companions who prefer to sleep late when you are an early riser who prefers to watch the sun rise. You can leave it on the mirror in the bathroom or cabin door so that everyone knows where to find you. It’s also light and you can carry it in your handbag.
5. A light weight anorak which will offer you protection from the chilly winds especially when you go for walks on the top deck.
6. Deck or walking shoes for those shore excursions to local markets or for walks on the ship’s walking promenade. They are also useful if you decide to do some rock climbing on board.
7. A small backpack to carry all your essentials for a day trip on shore – it also leaves you hands free to take photographs and is far lighter than to carry a handbag.
8. A travel money card in the local currency – the card, available from most banks, acts like a debit card and can be used in shops and restaurants. Saves you carrying too much cash.The alternative is to carry small denomination currency for buying souvenirs at market stalls or buying water or snacks while onshore.
9. A water bottle bag with a shoulder sling which allows you to have a handy bottle of water for day trips.
10. A small torch is always useful especially if you accidentally drop the back of your earrings while rushing to dress up for dinner.